This post originally appeared on China Dialogue. The Great Wall may not, after all, be visible from space – but Chinese air pollution is. A team of researchers at Battelle Memorial Institute and Columbia University, in collaboration with Yale University, recently used satellite readings to produce data on fine particulate concentrations in Chinese provinces. While these […]
Thank you to all who read my previous post, “Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index,” and to those have provided some excellent feedback and food for thought. In further exploring the link between information transparency and environmental performance, I made a statement that Chinese cities have a notorious reputation for being the world’s most polluted; however, data limitations could mean that there may be worse air quality out there.
While climate negotiators were busy discussing the role of forests in the Cancun climate negotiations, Google was launching its Earth Engine – a practical tool to help countries obtain information about their forests, which are critical carbon sinks, easily and freely. I originally wrote about the advantages of a tool like Earth Engine back in March. To […]
Canadian scientists Aaron van Donkelaar and Randall Martin at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, have created a map of global PM 2.5 (air particulates with diameters 2.5 microns or less, which is less than 1/3 the width of a strand of human hair and more damaging to the lungs than larger particles) concentrations from […]
There is something so surreal and elegant about observing the earth from space. This is one of the reasons why I find remote sensing so appealing; however, after spending a year just trying to learn the basics of remote sensing software and perfecting my land-cover classification skills, I realized that there’s an inherently steep learning […]
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- Beyond ‘Crazy Bad’: Explaining Beijing’s Extreme Air Pollution January 19, 2013
- The 2014 Environmental Performance Index – Who’s on Top and Bottom? February 25, 2014
- Provinces in China commit to air pollution targets February 12, 2014
- Podcast introducing the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 10, 2014
- Video introduction to the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 9, 2014
- Launch of the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 6, 2014
- Veja o ranking dos melhores (e dos piores!) países em desempenho ambiental | Visual News Notícias: […] FonteEnvironmental Performance Index An...
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
- Justin Sacher\'s Blog : Cute air quality: [...] Angel Hsu compiled this sampler image from S...
- Cute air quality | Justin Sacher's Blog: [...] Environmental journalist Angel Hsu compiled ...
- Angel Hsu: there's a new tool called Google Maps Engine: che...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter