While The Lord of the Rings films have brought global attention to New Zealand’s breathtaking scenery and natural environment, a recent dairy contamination scandal by Fonterra – the largest dairy producer in the country – has blighted New Zealand’s image as “100% Pure.” Environmental issues are now at the forefront of the country’s policy debate, marked by concerns regarding […]
A few of the Yale Climate and Energy Institute students who attended the COP-18 UN Climate Conference in Doha, Qatar in December, 2012 made this fun video about one of the art sculptures in the Qatar National Convention Center.
The lexicon of climate change negotiations is always full of alphabet soup – the UNFCCC, GHGs, AWG-KP, AWG-LCA – the list is endless, particularly in reference to negotiation blocs, which can be as simple as G77 & China, EU-27, BASIC, BRIC, etc. etc. While negotiation blocs have traditionally been defined in terms of economic development, it […]
On Saturday, I participated in the annual Yale Day of Service organized by Yale Blue Green and NYC Cool Roofs. The activity was to coat a roof of a low-incoming housing development in Harlem, NYC in a white elastin material that helps buildings reflect solar infrared radiation and keep them cool (read more about how cool roofs work here). NYC Cool Roofs is an initiative that was started to help NYC reach its goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 30 percent by 2030. Although they are in the process of collecting data on energy and cost savings, cool roofs are supposed to yield 30 percent reductions in cooling bills during summer months. I was really happy I got to learn about this “cool” initiative and help to coat one of their roofs.
The Obama administration’s fourth major meeting with China, involving multiple Cabinet Secretaries and Chinese Ministers, theStrategic and Economic Dialogue (S&ED), will be held May 3 and 4 in Beijing. As usual, the U.S. delegation will be lead by Secretaries Clinton and Geithner, and their Chinese hosts will be Vice Premier Wang Qishan (who focuses on economic policy) and State Councilor Dai Bingguo (responsible for foreign policy).
This post originally appeared on The Huffington Post. It may not be coincidental that soon after NBA Knicks’ Jeremy Lin dazzled the nation with a seemingly infallible jump-shot, China’s vice president, heir apparent and avid basketball fan Xi Jinping made an official U.S. visit. But while Lin — a Harvard graduate raised with Chinese and […]
The idea of a total cap on energy consumption in China, first suggested last March before the National People’s Congress has reemerged in Durban, and surprisingly there are now suggestions that China might consider some kind of a cap on carbon emissions. This has been suggested apparently as part of domestic policy rather than as a negotiating position, but details are very sketchy.
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- Beyond ‘Crazy Bad’: Explaining Beijing’s Extreme Air Pollution January 19, 2013
- The 2014 Environmental Performance Index – Who’s on Top and Bottom? February 25, 2014
- Provinces in China commit to air pollution targets February 12, 2014
- Podcast introducing the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 10, 2014
- Video introduction to the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 9, 2014
- Launch of the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 6, 2014
- Veja o ranking dos melhores (e dos piores!) países em desempenho ambiental | Visual News Notícias: […] FonteEnvironmental Performance Index An...
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
- Justin Sacher\'s Blog : Cute air quality: [...] Angel Hsu compiled this sampler image from S...
- Cute air quality | Justin Sacher's Blog: [...] Environmental journalist Angel Hsu compiled ...
- Angel Hsu: there's a new tool called Google Maps Engine: che...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter