This piece was co-written with William Miao. It originally appeared on ChinaFAQs. Amidst headlines detailing off-the-charts air pollution in Beijing, it may come as a surprise that China’s latest environmental scorecard does boast bright spots. The 2014 Yale Environmental Performance Index (EPI) – a biennial global ranking of how well countries perform on a range […]
This post originally appeared on Scientific American. It was co-written with Jason Daniel Schwartz. Air pollution kills around 7 million people every year, accounting for one in eight deaths worldwide, according to a report from the World Heath Organization (WHO) released March 25. Thankfully, the problem is getting more media attention. Images of Beijing’s “Airpocalypse” were a staple of […]
In January, China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) announced the signature of “air pollution control and target responsibility” contracts (大气污染防治目标责任书) that bind all 31 provinces, municipalities, and autonomous regions in China to air pollution reduction targets for particulate matter air pollution. These are contracts are significant because they tie leaders’ performance directly to salaries and promotions, signaling […]
This post originally appeared on The Atlantic. Government officials say it’s been caused by statistical inaccuracies and climate change. But is that the whole story? By Angel Hsu and William Miao As recently as 20 years ago, there were an estimated 50,000 rivers in China, each covering a flow area of at least 60 square […]
I recently participated in a live-chat on the US-China relationship via China Dialogue and Tea Leaf Nation. Although I wasn’t quite sure how a live chat would work, it was extremely well moderated and prepared by the China Dialogue and Tea Leaf Nation staff. I had a ton of fun and hope they decide to do […]
This post originally appeared at ChinaFAQs.org. The next round of United Nations climate negotiations is gearing up to take place starting next week in Doha Qatar, where countries will look to both China and the United States to see whether domestic political events will provide any momentum for the stalling talks. However, because of the proximity […]
I recently fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine – hugging a giant panda. In fact, this dream can be yours too, for the incredible donation of 1300 RMB (around $200 USD) to the Chengdu Panda Breeding Center, located in the north part of Sichuan province’s capital city. I, too, at first balked at the price. […]
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- How does China’s 12th Five-Year Plan address energy and the environment? March 7, 2011
- Development: Mobilize citizens to track sustainability March 31, 2014
- China’s performance on the 2014 Environmental Performance Index – What are the key takeaways? March 28, 2014
- China-India Smog Rivalry a Sign of Global Menace March 27, 2014
- Do perceptions of environment match reality? Environmental Performance according to Google Autocomplete March 27, 2014
- The 2014 Environmental Performance Index – Who’s on Top and Bottom? February 25, 2014
- Angel: Thanks, Joey! Best of luck at the University of Wa...
- Joey Chiang: I read your article of Wuhan's decade's worst ai...
- Thursday Linkage – China’s Environmental Impact Edition » Duck of Minerva: […] Hsu writes that all Chinese provinces,...
- Veja o ranking dos melhores (e dos piores!) países em desempenho ambiental | Visual News Notícias: […] FonteEnvironmental Performance Index An...
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter