Roger Peng, an Associate Professor in the Department of Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, recently spoke at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies about his research estimating the health benefits of reducing particulate matter air pollution. He discussed common study designs for understanding environmental pollution health impacts as well […]
Shanghai’s Environmental Protection Bureau (EPB) recently updated how it communicates daily air quality via its website and Weibo account. Shanghai has one of the best websites for accessing information about air quality, including real-time pollution data in pollutant concentrations and Air Quality Index (AQI) readings. They also give you a bar chart of AQI readings for […]
Ningbo, a seaport city in the northeast of Zhejiang province in China’s more developed Southeast region, has come in first in the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs Pollution Information Transparency Index (PITI) ranking for the last two years in a row. Because of their stellar performance on the PITI, I thought it’d be worth paying […]
Meet Li Juan, PhD – an engineer in the Atmospheric Monitoring Division of Shanghai’s Environmental Monitoring Centre (EMC). She prepares the daily air quality reports for the Shanghai Environmental Protection Bureau. Most of the process to retrieve the data and calculate the daily Air Pollution Index (API) is automated, as data from each of Shanghai’s […]
A few ambitious undergraduate students from Beijing City University filmed a documentary on air quality in Beijing, particularly examining the issue of PM 2.5 measurement and reporting. They interviewed me when I was in Beijing in March. The reason why I speak in English during the interview as opposed to in Chinese is because of the relatively sensitive nature of the questions they planned to ask me. As a Chinese-American, I consider myself American first and foremost and wanted that to come across. Depending on how they edited the video, I was worried that something I said may have been taken out of context, so it was important for me to not appear as a Chinese, but rather as an outside expert.
Earlier this month, China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) released the official (trial) revisions to the Ambient Air Quality Index (AQI, which is a notable shift from its previous form as the Air Pollution Index, or API). I wrote last February about how the MEP was already revising the API to be more in line with the […]
This post originally appeared on China Dialogue. The Great Wall may not, after all, be visible from space – but Chinese air pollution is. A team of researchers at Battelle Memorial Institute and Columbia University, in collaboration with Yale University, recently used satellite readings to produce data on fine particulate concentrations in Chinese provinces. While these […]
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- Beijing starts new bike-sharing program July 10, 2012
- Call for Submissions: 2014 EPI Seeking Data for Wastewater Treatment September 27, 2013
- World Water Week Highlights Need for Global Cooperation on Water Indicators September 23, 2013
- 100% Pure? Assessing the State of Environment in New Zealand August 26, 2013
- Does the Environment Need Big Data? July 9, 2013
- Please take a minute and support our MIT Climate Co-Lab proposal! June 15, 2013
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
- Justin Sacher\'s Blog : Cute air quality: [...] Angel Hsu compiled this sampler image from S...
- Cute air quality | Justin Sacher's Blog: [...] Environmental journalist Angel Hsu compiled ...
- Angel Hsu: there's a new tool called Google Maps Engine: che...
- edmore mattekenya: can Google earth be used for drawing a map on the ...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter