This piece was co-written with William Miao. It originally appeared on ChinaFAQs. Amidst headlines detailing off-the-charts air pollution in Beijing, it may come as a surprise that China’s latest environmental scorecard does boast bright spots. The 2014 Yale Environmental Performance Index (EPI) – a biennial global ranking of how well countries perform on a range […]
Roger Peng, an Associate Professor in the Department of Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, recently spoke at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies about his research estimating the health benefits of reducing particulate matter air pollution. He discussed common study designs for understanding environmental pollution health impacts as well […]
Shanghai’s Environmental Protection Bureau (EPB) recently updated how it communicates daily air quality via its website and Weibo account. Shanghai has one of the best websites for accessing information about air quality, including real-time pollution data in pollutant concentrations and Air Quality Index (AQI) readings. They also give you a bar chart of AQI readings for […]
Ningbo, a seaport city in the northeast of Zhejiang province in China’s more developed Southeast region, has come in first in the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs Pollution Information Transparency Index (PITI) ranking for the last two years in a row. Because of their stellar performance on the PITI, I thought it’d be worth paying […]
Meet Li Juan, PhD – an engineer in the Atmospheric Monitoring Division of Shanghai’s Environmental Monitoring Centre (EMC). She prepares the daily air quality reports for the Shanghai Environmental Protection Bureau. Most of the process to retrieve the data and calculate the daily Air Pollution Index (API) is automated, as data from each of Shanghai’s […]
A few ambitious undergraduate students from Beijing City University filmed a documentary on air quality in Beijing, particularly examining the issue of PM 2.5 measurement and reporting. They interviewed me when I was in Beijing in March. The reason why I speak in English during the interview as opposed to in Chinese is because of the relatively sensitive nature of the questions they planned to ask me. As a Chinese-American, I consider myself American first and foremost and wanted that to come across. Depending on how they edited the video, I was worried that something I said may have been taken out of context, so it was important for me to not appear as a Chinese, but rather as an outside expert.
Earlier this month, China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) released the official (trial) revisions to the Ambient Air Quality Index (AQI, which is a notable shift from its previous form as the Air Pollution Index, or API). I wrote last February about how the MEP was already revising the API to be more in line with the […]
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- How does China’s 12th Five-Year Plan address energy and the environment? March 7, 2011
- Development: Mobilize citizens to track sustainability March 31, 2014
- China’s performance on the 2014 Environmental Performance Index – What are the key takeaways? March 28, 2014
- China-India Smog Rivalry a Sign of Global Menace March 27, 2014
- Do perceptions of environment match reality? Environmental Performance according to Google Autocomplete March 27, 2014
- The 2014 Environmental Performance Index – Who’s on Top and Bottom? February 25, 2014
- Angel: Thanks, Joey! Best of luck at the University of Wa...
- Joey Chiang: I read your article of Wuhan's decade's worst ai...
- Thursday Linkage – China’s Environmental Impact Edition » Duck of Minerva: […] Hsu writes that all Chinese provinces,...
- Veja o ranking dos melhores (e dos piores!) países em desempenho ambiental | Visual News Notícias: […] FonteEnvironmental Performance Index An...
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter