On Saturday, I participated in the annual Yale Day of Service organized by Yale Blue Green and NYC Cool Roofs. The activity was to coat a roof of a low-incoming housing development in Harlem, NYC in a white elastin material that helps buildings reflect solar infrared radiation and keep them cool (read more about how cool roofs work here). NYC Cool Roofs is an initiative that was started to help NYC reach its goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 30 percent by 2030. Although they are in the process of collecting data on energy and cost savings, cool roofs are supposed to yield 30 percent reductions in cooling bills during summer months. I was really happy I got to learn about this “cool” initiative and help to coat one of their roofs.
- 100% Pure? Assessing the State of Environment in New Zealand
- Air Quality and Human Health: An Interview with Roger Peng
- ‘Climate Spider’ at the UN Climate Conference in Doha
- New bloc of ‘Like Minded Developing Countries’ meet in advance of Doha Climate Talks
- Yu’s Family Kitchen – An Unforgettable Sichuan Feast
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- Beijing starts new bike-sharing program July 10, 2012
- Call for Submissions: 2014 EPI Seeking Data for Wastewater Treatment September 27, 2013
- World Water Week Highlights Need for Global Cooperation on Water Indicators September 23, 2013
- 100% Pure? Assessing the State of Environment in New Zealand August 26, 2013
- Does the Environment Need Big Data? July 9, 2013
- Please take a minute and support our MIT Climate Co-Lab proposal! June 15, 2013
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
- Justin Sacher\'s Blog : Cute air quality: [...] Angel Hsu compiled this sampler image from S...
- Cute air quality | Justin Sacher's Blog: [...] Environmental journalist Angel Hsu compiled ...
- Angel Hsu: there's a new tool called Google Maps Engine: che...
- edmore mattekenya: can Google earth be used for drawing a map on the ...
12th Five Year Plan 12th FYP air quality API AQI Beijing Cancun China chinadialogue chinafaqs China in Copenhagen cities clean energy Climate climate change climate talks COP15 COP17 cop18 Data Doha Durban energy Environmental Performance Index EPI forestry Google indicators Indices IPE media metrics MRV negotiations NY Times PM 2.5 Remote Sensing Rio+20 targets Tianjin transport UNFCCC United States USCC water
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter
Photos on flickr
Follow on Tumblr - Follow angelhsu