The United Nations has officially designated 2013 as the International Year of Water Cooperation. In response to this global call for action, the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) team is seeking to improve upon its water indicators for the 2014 edition, which will be released in January. Over the years, we’ve attempted to measure country-level performance on […]
World Water Week drew to a close earlier this month with a charge to the United Nations to consider aspecial emphasis on water as part of a post-2015 development agenda. As the UN deliberatesSustainable Development Goals (SDGs), indicators are critical components as they track progress toward universal targets.
While The Lord of the Rings films have brought global attention to New Zealand’s breathtaking scenery and natural environment, a recent dairy contamination scandal by Fonterra – the largest dairy producer in the country – has blighted New Zealand’s image as “100% Pure.” Environmental issues are now at the forefront of the country’s policy debate, marked by concerns regarding […]
Originally on the Huffington Post. This blog post was co-written with Jason Daniel Schwartz, a journalist and writer. He recently completed a Masters of Environmental Management at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. Big Data has emerged as a game-changing presence in commerce and politics. What used to be the vast and unknown cosmos […]
Hi friends! A group of fellow students and I recently submitted a proposal in the ‘Shifting Cultures for a Changing Climate’ in the MIT Climate Co-Lab competition to create a virtual green pet named CliO (Climate Organism) that will encourage users to make more low-carbon lifestyle choices. Think Tamagotchi meets climate change. While geared toward younger […]
We’re in the process of considering how we can improve the data presentations for the 2014 Environmental Performance Index (EPI), which will launch next January. While researching data mapping and presentations, I came across the tool CartoDB, which aims to make visually-stunning data presentation easy enough for everyone to do. Uploading data to CartoDB and doing a simple presentation of geospatial data is easy enough.
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- How does China’s 12th Five-Year Plan address energy and the environment? March 7, 2011
- Call for Submissions: 2014 EPI Seeking Data for Wastewater Treatment September 27, 2013
- World Water Week Highlights Need for Global Cooperation on Water Indicators September 23, 2013
- 100% Pure? Assessing the State of Environment in New Zealand August 26, 2013
- Does the Environment Need Big Data? July 9, 2013
- Please take a minute and support our MIT Climate Co-Lab proposal! June 15, 2013
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
- Justin Sacher\'s Blog : Cute air quality: [...] Angel Hsu compiled this sampler image from S...
- Cute air quality | Justin Sacher's Blog: [...] Environmental journalist Angel Hsu compiled ...
- Angel Hsu: there's a new tool called Google Maps Engine: che...
- edmore mattekenya: can Google earth be used for drawing a map on the ...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter