This post originally appeared on Huffington Post. It was co-written and compiled by researchers Omar Malik, Laura Johnson, Avi Allison, Kelly Coplin, Nora Hawkins, Susanne Stahl and Sarah Guy at the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy. The 2014 Environmental Performance Index (EPI) ranks 178 countries on how well they perform on high-priority environmental issues in two broad […]
In January, China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP) announced the signature of “air pollution control and target responsibility” contracts (大气污染防治目标责任书) that bind all 31 provinces, municipalities, and autonomous regions in China to air pollution reduction targets for particulate matter air pollution. These are contracts are significant because they tie leaders’ performance directly to salaries and promotions, signaling […]
On January 25 at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland, I had the pleasure of launching the 2014 Environmental Performance Index on behalf of my colleagues at the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy and the Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) at Columbia University. The Environmental Performance Index is a biennial ranking of how well countries […]
The United Nations has officially designated 2013 as the International Year of Water Cooperation. In response to this global call for action, the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) team is seeking to improve upon its water indicators for the 2014 edition, which will be released in January. Over the years, we’ve attempted to measure country-level performance on […]
World Water Week drew to a close earlier this month with a charge to the United Nations to consider aspecial emphasis on water as part of a post-2015 development agenda. As the UN deliberatesSustainable Development Goals (SDGs), indicators are critical components as they track progress toward universal targets.
While The Lord of the Rings films have brought global attention to New Zealand’s breathtaking scenery and natural environment, a recent dairy contamination scandal by Fonterra – the largest dairy producer in the country – has blighted New Zealand’s image as “100% Pure.” Environmental issues are now at the forefront of the country’s policy debate, marked by concerns regarding […]
Originally on the Huffington Post. This blog post was co-written with Jason Daniel Schwartz, a journalist and writer. He recently completed a Masters of Environmental Management at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies. Big Data has emerged as a game-changing presence in commerce and politics. What used to be the vast and unknown cosmos […]
- Chinese NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index January 31, 2011
- Shanghai’s New Air Quality mascot January 22, 2013
- Follow-up: Just how does China’s air quality compare globally? February 16, 2011
- Real-time, hourly air quality data in China now available January 5, 2011
- How does China’s 12th Five-Year Plan address energy and the environment? March 7, 2011
- The 2014 Environmental Performance Index – Who’s on Top and Bottom? February 25, 2014
- Provinces in China commit to air pollution targets February 12, 2014
- Launch of the 2014 Environmental Performance Index February 6, 2014
- Call for Submissions: 2014 EPI Seeking Data for Wastewater Treatment September 27, 2013
- World Water Week Highlights Need for Global Cooperation on Water Indicators September 23, 2013
- Veja o ranking dos melhores (e dos piores!) países em desempenho ambiental | Visual News Notícias: […] FonteEnvironmental Performance Index An...
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2011-02-11 | Mark Englehart Evans: [...] NGO releases Air Quality Transparency Index ...
- Justin Sacher\'s Blog : Cute air quality: [...] Angel Hsu compiled this sampler image from S...
- Cute air quality | Justin Sacher's Blog: [...] Environmental journalist Angel Hsu compiled ...
- Angel Hsu: there's a new tool called Google Maps Engine: che...
Follow @ecoangelhsu on Twitter